Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dee's Homemade Deep Fried Thin Potatoes....

Now isn't that a mouthful?? Well I was sitting here the other day deciding what to make for dinner and a T.V. commercial came on for french fries for some restaurant and they just looked delicious. However, I had plenty of potatoes at home that there was no need to go out and buy a bag of pre-made frozen french fries. So I made my own... I decided to coat them in a batter before frying them cause I figured fries at a restaurant probably have the same thing... they turned out pretty good considering I didn't have a recipe to go by. They were crispy, just the way I like my fries. They were pretty easy too!!



Ingredients: (Makes approximately 4 small servings or 2-3 larger servings)
5 yellow potatoes (Cleaned, ends removed)
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
2-3 cups of canola oil for frying (or if you have a deep fryer, whatever yours calls for)

Prep:
~Clean potatoes
~Cut ends off
~Slice in thin slices
~Mix flour and seasonings in small bowl
~If the potatoes aren't moist, dip them in water first
~Coat the potatoes in batter (I placed mine on non-stick sprayed wax paper until ready to fry)
~Heat oil in saucepan (be sure to cover for splattering)
~When oil is around 375 degrees, drop 1/2 potatoes in for about 10-12 minutes depending on how you like your potatoes cooked ...
~Remove potatoes and place on a paper towel on plate to allow extra grease to drain, lightly salt, then cover with another plate to keep warm until second batch cooked.
~Do the same with the second batch, allow them to drain on towel and lightly salt.
~Serve with practically any meal!!!
(For a healthier alternative instead of deep frying...I would imagine that these are good baked... but I haven't made them this way.. perhaps try 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes??? I guess cook them till they are browned and cooked all the way through)


 Cut ends off before slicing
 Cut approx 1/4" thick or thinner if you want them more like chips



 Coat all potatoes and put on non-stick wax paper till ready to cook

 Drain grease on paper towel

Shown served with a NY steak with grilled mushrooms and onions with Dee's Style Zip Sauce*

No comments:

Post a Comment