Saturday, March 5, 2011

Pennes From Heaven...........

In 1998, my parents took my brother and I to Disney World in Florida for the first and only time in my life, even till today. We went for almost 2 weeks, we had gone to the famous Cocoa Beach, Kennedy Space Center, and also to visit my dad's longtime friend "Uncle" Gary in Tampa. We ended our trip with a week in Orlando's Disney World. This trip was also special to me because I turned "11" while in Disney. That was the grand opening of Animal Kingdom that year, and is the park I chose to spend my birthday at along with Blizzard Beach, the water park. For dinner we went to Downtown Disney's Planet Hollywood. It is there where this dish was introduced to our family. My dad ordered their "Penne, Chicken & Broccoli" dish from the dinner selection. While eating it he recalls "This is so good it's heavenly, I must have this recipe". So, my dad being the persistent man that he is... asked if the head chef would come speak to him. After much persuasion, the chef gave my dad the recipe in return for a recipe of his own. My dad gave him his "Strawberry Cheesecake" recipe which he happened to know off the top of his head, and in agreement, they decided to keep the recipe sharing a secret. In doing so, my dad changed the name to "Pennes from Heaven". However... I have loved this recipe since my dad made it the first time himself, and with the responsibility of sharing recipes with my fellow followers... voila! Here it is! This is a little bit more complicated of a dish... compared to most, however, it is exquisite for making for company. I made it last night for some friends of my husband, and they devoured it. I hope you all enjoy this!!


Ingredients: (Serves 4)
3/4 lb. penne noodles
3 large or 4 smaller boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fat trimmed
4 tbl ranch dressing
4 red bell peppers, sliced
4 cups broccoli florets
3 tsp cilantro
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
2 tbl olive oil
1 stick butter*
8 oz. heavy whipping cream*
2 heaping tbl minced garlic*
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese*
2 tbl basil*
(Double * ingredients for double batch of sauce if making more than 4 servings)

Prep:
~Preheat oven to 350 degrees
~Trim fat off chicken
~Place breasts on baking sheet and coat with ranch dressing on both sides
~Bake for 30 minutes
~Wash, gut and slice peppers
~Boil water and then begin cooking noodles
~In sauce pan melt butter, add garlic, add parmesan cheese and add whipping cream. Constantly stir and keep on low heat so it doesn't burn. Then add basil and continue stirring.
~Heat olive oil in skillet and add veggies at medium heat, covered. Heat veggies until slightly browned and cooked thoroughly.
~When chicken is done, remove from oven and slice and drain noodles when cooked.
~Line up plates on counter
~Put noodles on plates, then add some veggies, then add some chicken, then pour sauce over.
~Sprinkle cilantro over entire plate
~Sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese all over plate
~Serve!!!




Be sure to stir CONSTANTLY so garlic and cheese does not burn and stick to bottom


PENNES FROM HEAVEN!!! 

2 comments:

  1. That looks SO good...and makes me excited to live in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name fits this pasta. Soooo good I didn't want to stop eating! Next time I might try cauliflower instead of broccoli and see how that turns out too. It's a little more time consuming than Danielle's other recipes, but VERY worth it!

    ReplyDelete