Saturday, April 16, 2011

Crab & Cheese Wontons

My plate when at a Chinese buffet is usually just egg drop soup and the crab wontons, or sometimes called crab rangoons. I absolutely love these! I wanted to find the perfect way to make them at home. This is a tricky recipe... so I'd recommend doing a trial-and-error before cooking these to serve to others. Plum sauce at Chinese restaurants is the best with these, but I bought a jar of Sweet and Sour sauce at the store and it is just as good with it. My pack of Wonton skins is usually like 40. I freeze half the skins and half the mixture after I make these if it is just for my husband and I. These are not nice to your waistline, which is why I'd probably save this for when you have a party at your house and then you can maybe make them all. This is a bit time consuming though. Do NOT fry them until you are ready to serve them though, they are only good hot.



Ingredients:
Can of imitation crab
1 bar Philadephia cream cheese
1 bunch scallions (green onions), chopped fine
20 Wonton skins
Canola oil for frying, in sauce pan or deep fryer
Bowl of warm water

Prep:
~Heat oil to 375 degrees F
~Mix crab meat, chopped fine scallions and slightly warmed cream cheese well.
~Put a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half in the center of one wonton skin
~With the tip of your finger, take water along all four sides of wonton
~Fold into triangle and the bring up other sides, fold sides down so oil won't get inside when cooking
~If not going to fry up right away, place on tray with damp paper towel, underneath and over the wontons to keep them from drying out
~When frying, fry for a few minutes on each sides, till golden brown.
~Serve with plum sauce or sweet and sour sauce













No comments:

Post a Comment