Saturday, April 16, 2011

Deep Fried Catfish... & Danielle's Homemade Tartar Sauce














My husband is a huge fan of catfish. I usually don't prefer it, and I have never cooked it before. I had bought three fresh catfish fillets because they were on sale, but I really didn't know what I was going to do with them. So I made up a recipe for it as I went, like I usually do in my recipes unless it is a family recipe handed down, and it was actually sensational. I served it with cornbread and some broccoli with cheese and homemade tartar sauce. The cornbread was out of a box, and I just followed the directions, but after it was done cooking, I spread it with margarine and sprinkled it with cinnamon, added great flavor. The broccoli with cheese is a bag by Green Giant Steamers and you just cook it in the microwave. I'll tell you how I make my homemade tartar sauce as well... I hope you all enjoy this recipe... it worked out great for me!







Ingredients:
3 fresh catfish fillets
1/2-1 cup flour
1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 cup corn meal (optional.. I'm sure it would taste just as good without it)
1 qt. canola oil or if you have a deep fryer, whatever it calls for

Prep:
~Heat oil to 375 degrees F in deep fryer or in a large saucepan if you don't have a deep fryer
~Mix flour, corn meal, cajun, pepper, and salt in a bowl
~On a cutting board, cut the fish into long strips
~Roll in batter
~Drop about 8 strips into the hot oil
~Cook a MINIMUM of 3 minutes, but if you want it a bit crispier, cook for five minutes
~On a plate, fold a piece of paper towel, remove fish and let oil drip for a few seconds than put on paper towel, and then cover with another plate or bowl to keep fish hot
~I made corn bread from a box so I made that first because it takes a lot longer to cook and then I let it set for a minute to settle
~Totally recommend cooking the fish last if possible so it is still hot

Homemade Tartar Sauce:
3 tbl Miracle Whip
2 heaping tbl Sweet Relish
1 tbl lemon juice
~Mix all together

















Homemade tartar sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment